Let Construction DesignWorks Be Your Remodeling Contractor
Are you thinking of remodeling your office? You may be experienced in going through a commercial construction tenant finish project, or you may not be. In both cases, you need to hire a commercial remodeling contractor. The smoothest process would be to hire a design-build general contractor. They will be able to help you navigate through the treacherous waters of a needs assessment, design, construction, project management and finally a successful delivery. However, there are 5 things you can do as the owner or tenant to help yourself, as well as the remodeling contractor.
- Materials – Think twice about purchasing your own materials! It’s best to let the remodeling contractor purchase them. You may avoid the contractor’s mark-up on the materials if you purchase your own, but you will not be able to get a warranty on these materials from the contractor since they did not provide them. The contractor will most likely be able to get a larger discount than you. Lastly, you will have no control on waste, breakage and overages of the materials.
- Changes – Plan ahead and keep your changes to a minimum during the construction process. A design change before you begin construction is much less costly than during the process.
- Timing – If you are going to make a change or decide on a color or type of material during construction, do not delay your decision. The faster you make a decision the better it will be on your schedule and pocketbook.
- Occupancy – It will be much faster and less expensive if you do not have employees and/or customers occupying the space when the remodel is underway. Having your staff on site during construction may take as much as 2x as long to finish the project. That costs money.
- Management – You may think visiting your job site on a daily basis will help expedite the process, but it actually slows things down. Every time you step foot on the job site, subcontractors have to get out of the way, stop working and in many cases leave for safety reasons. Micromanaging the project won’t help things. Let the contractor do their job. If you have a concern, contact the project manager. Keep your visits down to weekly 1-hour scheduled meetings.
Working with a remodeling contractor and preferably one with design-build capabilities can be a fun and smooth process. Keeping these 5 simple tips in mind will save you time and money, and will ultimately make you a happier customer.
Construction DesignWorks uses its hands-on approach and design expertise to create and develop a winning design build team that is specialized for each customer. Their complete turnkey solutions align with the unique business needs of various types of real estate. Construction DesignWorks, LLC. is located at 21961 West 83rd Street in Shawnee, Kansas. If you are looking for a commercial construction management firm or for more information about commercial renovations or commercial construction, call (913) 745-4727 or visit their website https://constructiondesignworks.com.